by Catherynne Johns
5 Tips on How to Get Rid of Acne
Everyone desires good, healthy and clear skin; unfortunately not everyone is blessed with a glowing complexion. Mother Nature has given some of us oily, acne prone skins. A glowing face can be one of your biggest assets; your features and color of your skin are secondary. Sometimes acne starts as soon as you hit puberty and doesn’t go away till later years. Another kind of acne which is adult acne often hits women in their early 30s, PCOs being another common cause. Both the acne is usually due to hormonal imbalances and excess production of sebum. This leads to enlarged pores and as dirt and oils stay trapped in pores, they form pimples. Obviously, you need to take care of yourself from inside in order to not only look healthy but be healthy as well.
If you have any such issues it is best to go see a doctor. Some women end up with a hole in their wallets in trying to treat acne, they would buy creams and face washes, which can sometimes be over drying and disturb the pH levels of your skin, thus increasing the breakouts. If you are one of those it is time to bin all those creams and face washes. Follow some of these all natural and pocket friendly tips on how to get rid of acne and brace yourself for the skin of your dreams.
- Tea Tree Oil
If you have never tried this stuff, I’m sure you must be thinking what! Put more oil on my already oily skin? The answer is yes! This is one of nature’s best gifts for acne prone skin. The oil is rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is also anti-inflammatory and takes care of the redness as it dries out the pimples without disturbing the pH level of your skin. It leaves no marks behind as it gets rid of the acne. It kills the pore blocking bacteria and also helps in clearing the dead skin cells.
- You could apply tea tree oil by dabbing a cotton ball dipped in tea tree oil on the affected area. Leave it overnight for best results or at least for twenty minutes before rinsing your face. It is best to leave tea tree on your pimples overnight.
- Another option is you can mix few drops of tea tree oil in a tablespoon of aloe vera gel, leave it on your face for twenty minutes and rinse off.
Honey is nature’s antibiotic, which rapid fires the healing process of acne. It kills the bacteria effectively. Honey is also anti-aging and helps heal sun damaged skin due to excessive sun exposure. It also helps in restoring the pH balance of your skin as it heals. Honey can be applied on its own or you could try one of the following recipes to maximize on the benefits.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to a tablespoon of honey. Apply it lavishly on your whole face and wash it after 20 minutes.
- A pinch of cinnamon powder added to a tablespoon of honey is also very effective in treating acne.
- Honey can also be combined with two tablespoons of yogurt, squeeze the juice of half a lemon to this and apply this as a face pack. Leave it for about 30 minutes and rinse off. You will get a clear glowing complexion after applying this two-three times.
Lemon is acidic in nature and is therefore, an excellent all natural remedy to get rid of the excess oil. Due to its acidic nature it can deep clean the pores, taking out all the dirt which is clogging your pores. It is rich in vitamin C, regular application of lemon juice helps in preventing breakouts and also fades away any acne marks or scars. Lemon is known for its bleaching properties; it takes care of any left behind marks and also helps in getting rid of the tan. As it is acidic in natures, people with sensitive skin might find lemon juice a bit strong. It burns slightly when applied on the pimples but if you can take the slight tingling it works wonders.
- Lemon juice on its own can be sometimes a bit drying. If your skin gets too dry you might be inviting a breakout, so it is always better to mix lemon juice with something. You should apply lemon juice on alternate days and not daily
- Try this face mask which involves lemon. Take one tablespoon of yogurt, one tablespoon of honey, squeeze half a lemon in it, and add a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of cinnamon powder. Apply it on the affected area or even the whole face; you will get a glowing complexion in no time. Leave it on your face for at least twenty minutes.
Oatmeal is amazing for oily acne prone skin. It gently exfoliates as it removes the dead skin. It also absorbs excess oil while not disturbing the skins’ natural pH levels. It is one of the best chemical free cleansers as it sucks out dust and gunk from your pores. Regular use of oatmeal also helps in tightening pores, so it also beneficial if you are suffering from enlarged open pores. Oatmeal can be used in raw form or cooked. Here are two ways to use oatmeal for acne prone skin
- Cook a tablespoon of oatmeal for two to three minutes. Once it forms a gel like consistency, add one table spoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice to it. Apply it on the affected areas or all over face. Leave it till the paste is completely dry. Wash it off while gently rubbing in circular motion. It exfoliates while cleaning and tightening pores simultaneously.
- Add one tablespoon of raw oatmeal to two tablespoons of yogurt. Add some honey to this. Apply it on your face. Rub in circular motions. Let this dry. Once dry, wash off with lukewarm water, and wash it while rubbing your face in circular motion gently. Use this mask at least once a week.
- Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is widely used in beauty products and spa treatments, due to its amazing benefits for the skin. It is a natural moisturizer, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. It has healing properties and rejuvenates skin as it rids the skin of acne, pimples and scars. The clear, yellowish gel is best used when fresh otherwise you can also use bottled aloe vera which is now very commonly available.
- Crush two aspirin tablets; mix in a tablespoon of aloe vera gel. This is an amazing treatment for acne prone skin. Leave it on your face for at least twenty minutes for best result. When you wash it off, you will feel instant glow and tightening effect on your face.
- Another very popular treatment is that in a tablespoon of aloe vera gel you add a teaspoon of honey, a pinch of turmeric and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply it on your face, rinse after fifteen to twenty minutes. This treatment removes acne and also removes tan. Aloe vera is so gentle that you can use it twice to thrice a week.
You can use any of these acne treatments or even combine some of them for best results. All of these have no side-effects. After regular use you will have clear, glowing skin in no time and also be able to overcome the excess oil issue. Do try these at-home acne treatments and give us your feedback.
Catherynne Johns is a senior Writer for OLWOMEN.com, an avid reader, fashion and make up enthusiast who simply lives to write and talk about all kinds of stuff. Focusing on how to grow hair faster these days with some trending easy hairstyles & bob hairstyles!