I know what you’re thinking, and yes, that was a rhetorical question – because I already know the answer on how to get rid of a yeast infection, and soon you will too 😉
Unfortunately, most women will experience a yeast infection sometime in their lives. Yeast (Candida albicans) grows naturally in our bodies. When this growth goes haywire, yeast infections can, and usually does, occur.
Stress, lack of sleep, and antibiotics can cause yeast infections. Read more on what causes yeast infection.
Anything that changes the body’s natural chemistry, such as oral contraceptives or pregnancy, can also initiate an infection. Normal bodily acids tend to keep the yeast at bay, but if the body produces less of the acid it needs, the yeast can grow, especially in the warm, moist areas of the vagina (an embarrassing problem, as you probably already know if you are reading this article).
Vaginal itching, discharge, burning, pain during intercourse, and nausea are symptoms that should not be ignored. The discharge has a strong odor of baking yeast and may be thick and white or it may be thin and light yellow. These symptoms might signal a yeast infection, but they could also be caused by other disorders. It is important that the cause be pinpointed by a physician to determine how serious it is.
Okay, enough with the basic information! There are many suggested remedies on how to get rid of a yeast infection (both prescribed and holistic). However, it’s important to know that over-the-counter (OTC) medicines do not treat the cause (more on this later). A natural cure for yeast infection is a preferable, and less damaging, alternative.
- To aid in prevention, do not use any perfumed products in or near the vagina. I know it may be tempting, but this will aggravate your condition. This includes deodorant sprays and even pads that contain any type of scent/odor.
- Yogurt is good for creating a balance between good and bad yeast in the body. Eat a serving of plain unflavored yogurt each day. Since sugar increases the growth of yeast, be sure the yogurt is sugar-free. Milk that is labeled cultured, acidophilus or kefir is also effective.
- Douching daily with an apple (not white) cider douche kills yeast. Mix a tablespoon of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar into a couple cups of water.
- At night, before you go to bed, wrap a clove of garlic in some gauze and actually put it into the vagina, leaving it there overnight. It is said that you should feel relief right away (well, unless you’re a vampire!). Even though you feel relief right away, I found that I get garlic breath from this method, so don’t worry if you have the same experience.
- And the yogurt? You could actually put some into the vaginal canal and rub some around the outside of the vagina. I suggest wearing a mini-pad with either of these methods. Basically what has worked for me is just going to the store and buying some “plain” yogurt and some tampons, dip it in the yogurt (when you get home!) and insert it in the vagina for a few hours or as needed.
Historically, natural remedies based on diet have cured an innumerable amount of diseases and infections, and can also include maintaining a calm and ordered lifestyle which can relieve stress and tension. A diet rich in healthy, live, raw vegetables significantly reduces your chances of ever having a yeast infection. If you do get one, proper diet can reduce the severity and speed the recovery.
Reducing sugar intake can help since the yeast grows rapidly in sugar. Fiber found in fruits and vegetables are a natural cleanser for the intestinal tract. Water, essential for many reasons, flushes the fiber through the intestines. Natural supplements are also available, such as vitamins and herbs that have been shown to be effective in preventing and curing yeast infections.
As with any type of bodily disorder, if you get a yeast infection you need to be checked out by a trusted physician. There are other disorders that may be present for your particular situation. You want to be informed as to the nature of your disorder before you try any type of solution. Prevention is the best cure. Holistic natural cures for yeast infection are safe because they are natural to the bodily functions.
Dr Claire Thomas is the author of the brand new eBook “Yeast Infection Home Remedies”. Grab your free sample report & learn more about curing & prevent yeast infections in the home.